Saturday, April 16, 2011

Education in Ladakh

The following excerpt was written by Taylor Knoop of East Greenwich High School. After having visited a local private school in Leh, Taylor writes........

I walk into the hall which is already crowded with four hundred students dressed in red and blue uniforms. My eyes are slow to adjust to the darkness, making the large room feel immense. I don't recognize the sticks right away. I settle into my seat, whisper "Jullay" to the young boys in front of me and pull out my camera, ready to begin my first fieldwork.

Part of the VIS experience is to complete an independent study, or exhibition project, which includes a research paper, field work and a presentation. I have chosen to study education in Ladakhi, comparing the government schools to SECMOL, the school I have been staying at for the past three months. There are so many variables involved in education here, ranging from language to teaching methods to displine to self confidence. My first fieldwork is at Lamdong, a private school hosting almost 2,000 students. Today some of the older students are debating the pros and cons of science in Hindi, one of the four languages they are taught.

My eyes are drawn to the stage, where ten students sit, poised with confidence. Above hangs a banner declaring "World Health: Hindi Debate." I listen intently, not able to understand anything, but impressed by the ability of these students to think quickly on their feet. Occasionally Detchen, a science teacher/friend, whispers in my ear, roughly translating the discussion.

Suddenly my attention is pulled away from the stage and down to my feet, at the young boy leaning on my backpack. A man in blue is walking towards him and the boy is covering his face, leaning over and trying to hide. I am unsure of what just happened, maybe that he had been talking to his friend but I was too absorbed to notice. Now the boy is crying "No! No! No! Don't take me, take him!" as he points to his friend. Clearly he knew what was going to happen, while I sit in shock.

The man comes up and gave him several swift kicks before grabbing his arm, pulling the boy down the aisle even though he is still sitting. Reaching the front of the rows the disciplinarian points to a seat, dictating that the boy must go there. The boy does not move quickly enough so the older man slaps him across the face several times before practically throwing him into the spot.

Caroline and I are in shock, completely taken off guard. Suddenly the poised students on the stage are not interesting enough to hold my attention and my eyes sweep the room. Once, twice, three, times I see similar events. I can't even catch every time as they occurr across the room. It varies depending on the disciplinarian - sometimes the student is dragged down the aisle, other times hit with the wooden sticks, sometimes just slapped by a hand or maybe their ear is twisted until the student is almost screaming.

You can see a short video on my Facebook page at:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1830836503720&comments&set=t.1624605998&type=1

No comments:

Post a Comment